8.03.2008

Lookin' at Marvel Covers for October 2008

Just because I don't hardly read any Marvel stuff, doesn't mean I don't like to look at pretty pictures...

INCREDIBLE HERCULES #122
by Clayton Henry & Guru eFX
I don't know why Namor is trying to bite Hercules' stomach, but I'm not complaining. It's almost worth buying just to hang it on the wall...

AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #18
by Mark Brooks
I don't know what it is about this cover, but I just think it's really neat. I love the art, the lighting, the coloring. It's just a really nifty image!

ASTONISHING X-MEN: GHOST BOXES #1
by Simone Bianchi
Boxes. Heh.
Nice boxes, too...

SECRET WARS OMNIBUS HC
by Alex Ross
I think it's really cool when Alex Ross takes an old, well-known image that was just a line drawing with flat colors and pops it out into three dimensions. This is a nice one. It would definitely make a cool poster.

ULTIMATE CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #1
and
ULTIMATE HULK ANNUAL #1
by Brandon Peterson
I really love Brandon Peterson's art. He must have a real job somewhere, because he just doesn't draw enough comics! I wish he'd do more interior stuff (and I wish he'd do it for DC! LOL). I love his line work. I wonder if he does his own colors? If not, whoever did on these covers is an awesome match. The lighting, palette, textures...they all just really make these images pop! Awesomeness.

The power of MIKE ZECK:
Two of the above covers coming in October are based on artwork originally done by Mike Zeck for the covers of MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS #1 (May 1984) and CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #8 (1986). Here they are:

2 comments:

  1. In my childhood memories, Mike Zeck was the only guy drawing Marvel Comics in the '80s, just like John Romita was the only guy drawing Marvel Comics in the '70s. Obviously I know better, but when I think about the comics I was first looking at and then reading in the late '70s and into the '80s, those are the guys I think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 70s, I wanted more than anything for Mike Grell to draw the entire DC line-up. He was an artistic god to me.
    I would get so mad when he did a cover for a book he wasn't the artist on. I felt betrayed. How could they put Grell on the cover when he wasn't inside!!!?
    It was false advertising as far as I was concerned.

    ReplyDelete