5.23.2007

Superboy 204. October 1974

Another comic memory from 1974.

I have two distinct memories from this one. I absolutely fell in love with Mike Grell's art. And the Brainiac 5 back-up story (2 complete stories in one issue, whoda thunk?).

The artwork blew me away. Instantly I knew that this was one of my favorite artists. And his style was so distinct, that from this point on I could spot his work a mile away. I also learned how to see differences in artists' styles. I remember thinking, "I finally get it." I had always heard how people could tell DaVinci, Michaelangelo and Rembrant apart, but I could never see it. They all just looked like paintings to me. But now I got that there were difference in art styles.

And that Brainiac story. I don't know why, but it just sucked me into the Brainy/Supergirl relationship. It was just an awesome story. And kinda sad at the end. I love it to death.

I also clearly remember the lead Anti-Lad story, but it just didn't have the impact on me that Grell's art and the other story had.

I still love this issue to this day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Another great book. You started reading comics before I did and I guess I'm just realizing this now. I didn't start until I was around 9 or 10. My first issue of Legion wasn't until #238 in 1978. I wish I had started this early.

    The first artist whose artwork I was able to identify on sight was Curt Swan, btw.

    ReplyDelete