6.08.2007

Adventure Comics 370/Plastic Man 18

Here are a couple of comics I picked up at Adventure Con for no more interesting reason than curiosity...
Adventure Comics 370. July 1968

I grabbed this one because Insect Queen was on the cover.

I'd known that Lana had had adventures as the Insect Queen. And I knew that they'd involved the Legion. But I never thought that she'd actually been on a cover alongside them. I guess since Legion rules were that your powers had to be "organic" and not from a device (like Lana's ring), that she wasn't really a major player or something.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that she was on the cover, so I picked it up. $3 was a good enough deal for that.

Another $3 Silver-Ager: Plastic Man 18. (Super Comics)

When I first spotted this one, I thought it was an issue of DC's Plastic Man series from the 60s. Then I realized that it has the Super Comics logo and not the DC logo on the cover. That made it all the more intriguing.

I knew Super Comics had done a bunch of unauthorized reprints in the 50s and 60s, but I don't think I was aware that Plastic Man was one of them.

There are 4 stories in this book, but only one features Plastic Man. The others are a comedy strip called "Candy," a Will Eisner "The Spirit" story and one featuring the original "Manhunter."

I did a little research on this one. This is issue #18, but Super only published 3 issues: Numbers 11, 16 and 18. Not sure what the methodology was with this. Didn't dig quite that deep. HA!

Okay, bye.

1 comment:

  1. That issue of Adventure comes from one of my favorite runs of Legion. I have a bunch of the issues, but I also have the Archives and they are so nice to have.

    I'm completely unfamiliar with this Plastic Man run. I've never heard of Super Comics. Are they actually known for anything?

    ReplyDelete