10.14.2008

Alex Ross does modern day Wonder Woman!!

I never thought I'd live to see the day when Alex Ross would paint anything but his own personal version of Wonder Woman. But I made it!!
He did it on the cover for the Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Kollector's Edition video game:
Too bad he couldn't have been bothered to do this costume for the cover of JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA #12. I so would've bought that poster...

Here's a video from Comic Book Resources that shows, in time lapse, Alex creating the artwork. It's interesting to note: The couple of times that the art/photo reference is shown for Wonder Woman, the picture is blurred out. I didn't notice that on any of the others. Things that make you go hmmm...

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I like that new look for Wondy. And I always did love Ross's paintings of Hal Jordan. Ross's Hal is sooooooo PRETTY. *Sigh.* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Things that make you go hmmm..."

    How the HELL did you catch that? It just now took me six solid minutes of jump-clicking back and forth thru this clip just to see what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, AI, I'm a WW fanatic for one...

    I started watching the clip, not expecting to watch more than a few seconds because I thought it would be boring. But I found it actually to be sort of facsinating.
    Then, I noticed all the photo-refs he was using as he was going along. Since he had painted (what I thought at the time was) the Terry Dodson costume, I was keeping my eye out to see what the photo-refs for WW would look like. And they were blurred out!!
    I didn't notice any after that, and really didn't go back to check and see if any previously had been done, but none had caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm a WW fanatic for one..."

    Y'ain't foolin' me! You're Carter Hall! But I promise not to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...what? I think that comment flew waaaaay over my head.

    But...

    Oh yeah!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, unfortunately you seem to be a fan of Wonder Woman's ugly, inelegant 21st century costume.

    ReplyDelete