7.28.2008

Lookin' at DC Covers for October 2008

SUPERGIRL #34
by Josh Middleton
The actual figure of Supergirl doesn't really do much for me, but I love the design of this cover, and the real-look 3D newspaper. It's just kinda cool looking.

WILDCATS #4
by Neil Googe
I don't know what it is about this cover. Maybe it's that even with all the detail in the drawing it's still a very clean piece of art. Maybe it's the detail in the coloring technique. Maybe it's the color palette and lighting. I don't know. But this is a great cover. And if I cared one lick about the Wildcats, I might even buy it.
But I don't, so I won't. LOL

COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS VOL. 4 TP
by Adam Kubert
You couldn't pay me enough to buy this again (okay, that's not true...If you paid me or even offered it for free, I'd take it!). But for some reason I really like this cover. It's kinda cool.
And look, there's Donna! Hi Donna!!

THE AUTHORITY #3
by Simon Coleby
The thing about this cover that struck me is how familiar it looks. Not like an homage (although I suppose it could be), but just the design layout. Is it just me or does it look like a throw-back to the late sixties/seventies? Like something Neal Adams might've done. I don't know why I think that, but that's the vibe I get from it.

WONDER WOMAN #25
by Aaron Lopresti
I really don't like this cover much. The WW-Eagle looks too flat, which is something I've noticed a couple of times in the book, too. It makes her look completely flat chested. It should curve around her breasts, not just sit there. There are lines around it that imply breasts are there, but I just don't see them.
And what the hell is that little girl pointing at!!?

THE ALEX ROSS COVERS
I'm definitely fan of Alex Ross, not the obsessive he-can-do-no-wrong fan, but I really like his work. For awhile he was doing this weird (experimental?) stuff where he'd use light colors for large shadow-y areas. Didn't work for me. Shadowed areas should be dark. Light colored areas should show detail. But that's just me.
This month he hit 3 covers out of the park. BATMAN #681 is I think the best. I love the layout and design of this one. It would make a cool poster (not limited edition giclee -- poster). Although I do like the design and execution of SUPERMAN #681 and JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA ANNUAL #1, I think it's more what's happening on those covers and the excitement of what it means that grabs me with those two.
And when did Superman and Batman's numbering start running in tandem? I must've missed that...

2 comments:

  1. I get what you're saying about Alex Ross. I love his stuff, but not all of it works for me. After seeing so much of it, Alex Ross-fatigue sets in. It's like George Perez covers. I know they are always going to be excellent, but not always that exciting (to me anyways). What does excite me about Ross' work is when he does characters I haven't seen him do before, like Infinity Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I understand the Ross-fatigue of which you speak. Back around Kingdom Come, I was a Ross-zombie, he could do no wrong. But all these years later, it takes a little more to excite me from him. And I do like seeing characters he hasn't done before. Like the modern versions of the JLA he did on issue #12. Well, modern versions except for Wonder Woman (of course)...
    George Perez, in my eyes, can do no wrong, but I do agree, there is an occasional cover that doesn't quite hit it out of the ballpark for me.
    But they're rare.

    ReplyDelete